The words “famously reclusive” are paired with the name Cormac McCarthy like white on rice. Despite his televised interview with Oprah in 2007, cormacMcCarthy is still considered one of the least talkative, most private authors around. No book tours for this man! No website, no blog and definitely no Twitter. Nonetheless, this acclaimed writer generates plenty of press coverage, as we see in three recent developments:

NEWS ITEM #1: McCarthy has been chosen as the recipient of the PEN/Saul Bellow Award for Achievement in American Fiction, to be presented at a ceremony Tuesday tonight in New York. Will McCarthy accept the award in person? A PEN spokesman didn’t respond to that question, so your guess is as good as ours. This is a career achievement award, and in describing the honoree’s body of work, PEN notes that “McCarthy’s fiction parallels his movement from the Southeast to the West.” McCarthy’s first four novels are set in Tennessee, where he grew up and attended Knoxville Catholic High School. (Through a classmate, we’ve seen charming school newspaper clippings from the late 1940s in which the author, then known as the more pedestrian “Charlie McCarthy,” showed scant signs of future greatness.) McCarthy later moved to Texas, and eventually to Santa Fe, where he currently makes his home.

NEWS ITEM #2: An archive of McCarthy’s papers opened to researchers today as part of the Southwestern Writers Collection at Texas State University-San Marcos. Access is by appointment only, so forget about dropping by to thumb through the original manuscript of All the Pretty Horses.

NEWS ITEM #3: The film version of McCarthy’s devastating apocalyptic novel, The Road, now has a firm release date (October 16) and an official trailer. Only two and a half minutes long, but still extremely unsettling:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQautgFKK50]

comments powered by Disqus