Looking for a healthier take on meatloaf? We found one among the dozens of easy to prepare recipes that make up Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals (Hyperion), a book that "will make your everyday dinner efforts a breeze," says Sybil Pratt.
Mini Skillet Meatloaves
ACTIVE: 25 min / TOTAL: 40 min / MAKES: 6 meatloaves
- ? cup breadcrumbs
- ? cup milk
- ? cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1½ pounds meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and/or veal)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Mix the breadcrumbs, milk, parsley, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion, chili powder and garlic in a large bowl. Add the meat, season with salt and pepper and mix with your hands until combined. Shape into six 3-to-4-inch oval loaves.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the loaves and brown about 3 minutes per side.
- Whisk the ketchup, sugar and vinegar together in a bowl and brush a few tablespoonfuls over the meat. Add ½ cup water to the skillet, cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the loaves to a plate. Add the remaining ketchup mixture to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring, until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve the meatloaves with the hot glaze.
Per meatloaf: Calories 380; Fat 24 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 111 mg; Sodium 800 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 23 g
Recipe and photo from Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals by FOOD NETWORK MAGAZINE. Photographs courtesy of Antonis Achilleos. Copyright (C) 2011 Food Network Magazine, LLC. Photographs copyright (C) 2011 Antonis Achilleos. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All Rights Reserved. Read our review of this book.