Summer afternoons are perfect for hitting the local farmer's market and perusing fresh veggies, and Barbara Scott-Goodman's Eat Greens -- the Cookbook of the Month in our July cooking column -- is perfect for matching any of 29 vegetables with one of 120 recipes. It's simple cooking for simply delicious, healthy meals.
Sautéed Snap Peas, Sweet Corn, and Red Peppers
Nothing could be simpler or better than this summery dish of fresh and crunch snap peas tossed together with corn and red peppers.
makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1/2 pound fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin 1 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Bring a pot of salter water to a boil. Add the peas and red pepper strips and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in a colander under cold water and set aside.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the corn, scallions, snap peas, red pepper strips, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, shaking and stirring the skillet, for about 2 minutes. Add the chives, stir, and serve at once.