Are you already formulating your plan of attack for hitting the sales this Black Friday? Just be sure to save some shopping energy for Small Business Saturday, too, because you'll be in for a treat when you shop at your local independent bookstore.
Chances are high that if you walk into an indie bookstore this Saturday (November 30), you'll find an author or two hanging out. Organized by Indies First, more than 1,000 authors will be working as guest booksellers at locally owned shops across the country. Here are just a few:
• Martin Cruz Smith & Ayelet Waldman—Book Passage (Corte Madera, CA)
• Lynn Cullen & Joshilyn Jackson—Little Shop of Stories (Decatur, GA)
• Jill Lepore & Aaron Becker—Porter Square Books (Cambridge, MA)
• Ridley Pearson & Curtis Sittenfeld—Left Bank Books (St. Louis, MO)
• Emma Straub & Susannah Cahalan—WORD (Brooklyn, NY)
• Ann Patchett & Victoria Schwab—Parnassus in (Nashville, TN)
Do you plan on stopping by your local indie bookstore on Saturday?
Arkady Renko, the iconic and world-weary Moscow detective, returns in Martin Cruz Smith's latest thriller, Tatiana.
Renko is struggling to reconcile personal principles with those of his post-Soviet Union Russia when he hears news of boldly outspoken reporter Tatiana Petrovna's suspicious death. The police are quick to proclaim suicide, but Renko decides to investigate this one personally. Whodunit columnist Bruce Tierney says Smith is "equal to the best writers in the genre, and his latest effort is guaranteed to please his longtime fans and likely to win him many new ones." No arguments here!
Love the graphic book trailer from Simon & Schuster:
What do you think, readers? Are you ready for some juicy Russian intrigue?